Christmas Reflections

Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Reflections

We share these Christmas reflections with you because Christmas is a time for family. No matter what else we say, we know that if we put a smile on our face and try to love one another and kneel before the baby Jesus at the crib, we will have a great Christmas. I hope these reflections touch your heart.


1. The best Christmas I ever experienced was when I was ten. My grandma came all the way from Utah to visit us for Christmas. She loves us very much. My mom made a big dinner and was happy. Most important of all was that my mom and dad did not fight. I got the bike that I wanted. It was a very fun Christmas.
--Joe, age 16

2. The best Christmas I experienced was a few years ago when my family wasn’t split up. It was the best because there seemed to be more there. The reason I say this is because I would give the world to spend Christmas with my family and show them how grateful I am now.

--Joey, age 16

3. If I could give any Christmas gift to someone at Boys Town, I would give to John something he has never had. I would give him a best friend to care about him. That best friend is me. I do this because his whole life, no one has cared about him. Because he had no friends, he has done a lot of cruel things in his life. I give him friendship and caring from my own heart.

--Jonathan, age 16

4. The best Christmas ever was last year. It was the first Christmas that I could feel and say I had a family that was there for me in the Christmas Season. It was my first Christmas at Boys Town. I felt that all my friends and those who cared about me stood by me and gave me a Christmas I will never forget ever.
--Patricia, age 15

5. The worst Christmas was last year. Boys Town is a fun place to be for Christmas, but I made it bad because my real family was not here. I was selfish. I had only tears. I didn’t try. That is why it wasn’t the best for me.
--Name Withheld

6. The worst Christmas I ever experienced was when I lost my grandpa because he was the one who brought our family together.
--Nina, age 15

7. There were so many good ones, but one that really sticks out that I wish I could go back to is this…When my grandparents were alive and everyone in my family was together having a good time and enjoying each others company, giving presents to each other and no one fighting. There was no one forgetting the true meaning of Christmas. It was the last Christmas with all my grandparents.
--Maya, age 16

8. My worst Christmas was the Christmas of 2006. I went to church, but it was too hurried. Most of all, to me it felt like God was not present. Many things were wrong. I was not sober and I barely remember it. I wish I could have done better.
--Name Withheld

9. The worst Christmas was when I decided not to let my family have a happy and joyful Christmas. We went to church on Christmas Eve. I decided to whip out my cell phone and Ipod while in Church and pay no attention to the Lord. I didn’t listen to my mom or dad telling me to put them away. I argued with them and really embarrassed my parents. I ruined their Christmas.

--Name Withheld

10. The best I ever experienced…so far…(even though we are not quite at Christmas) I would say is this one. I say this because I have never thought of Christmas as an Advent or as a religious time to grow in Christ. This year Boys Town has helped me to become closer to God, stronger in my faith and a better person just in a few weeks leading up to Christmas.

--Chelsey, age 15

11. My best Christmas was last year when we got to put on our pajamas, eat real good food and open presents at Boys Town. Everyone cared about each other. It was a blast. I like the Boys Town Christmases we have her.
--Elizabeth, age 14

12. The worst Christmas I ever had was last year. I was stuck in a hospital with a bunch of people who didn’t believe in love. They only worried about what they would receive. They got what they deserved, which wasn’t much.
--Name Withheld

13. Last year was my best Christmas. I went home for Christmas and I was very excited. I wanted to help prepare everything for Christmas. I wanted to go to my aunt’s house and help her cook. I was in the kitchen after dinner, doing dishes, cleaning up and everyone was pleased with me. I thank Boys Town for the Christmas we had the week before. Boys Town helped me to understand Christmas and to enjoy all because you are with people you love.
--Angie, age 17

14. If I could give any gift to someone in my Boys Town family, I would give it to Maria (not her real name). Her parents strive for her to be something she is not. They tell her all the time how fat she is. In reality, she is not. Behind the scenes, I see how much this hurts her. Many don’t think it affects her too much, but I know it does. I would give her the gift of acceptance by her parents. No matter what they believe, nobody can be perfect. She is not fat either. She is my friend.
--Kim, age 17

15. My best Christmas was last year because my Family-Teachers threw a birthday party for me. I have never had a birthday party before in my whole life. It was really a lot of fun.
--Name Withhel